9.03.2008

Wanted Posters Banned in UK

Photobucket Apparently, a lot of complaints were made about the posters "glamorising the use of guns and violence".

The story is kinda shocking to me. I've seen some pretty out there advertising from the UK (in terms of content that may not be suitable for children) and ppl are upset about Wanted posters?

I saw the movie when it first came out and thought it was surprisingly really good/entertaining/worth-the-money. I don't think the movie or posters glamorize anything. That word 'glamorize' kinda irks me because many films/TV shows/ads speak to our understanding of fantasy. We enjoy watching something impossible/improbable/exaggerated because it's not the mundane, it's not something we [can] do. We don't walk around curving bullets. So, whenever I spot that word 'glamorize' I automatically feel that the complaining party has lost touch with their sense of fantasy and reality.

Here's an excerpt from the article:

In its adjudication, the industry watchdog ruled: "We acknowledged most viewers would understand the posters reflected the content of an action film. However, we considered that because the ads featured a glamorous actress, action poses, several images of or related to guns and aspirational text, they could be seen to glamorise the use of guns and violence. We concluded [they] could be seen to condone violence by glorifying or glamorising the use of guns."


This whole thing just bugs me. Things like this make me feel that "industry watchdogs" feel the public is too stupid to make responsible decisions for themselves and that the watchdogs themselves are afflicted with a serious case of boredom.

Later

2 comments:

the girl Riot™ said...

wonder how they advertise Bond in the UK, eh? never say die.

Writing Horses said...

I think the ad should be banned because of Angelina's arm! Look at that thing. How is she even lifting that gun with that arm? Photoshop or not, it's disgusting.