9.02.2008

I Don't Want to Work for Diddy

Don't you hate when something makes you really angry yet you still indulge? That's how I feel about a lot of television shows, particularly VH1's I Want to Work for Diddy -- a reality show in which people compete to work for Sean "Puff Daddy... Puffy... P Diddy... Diddy..." Combs.

Why do I hate that I love this show? The show kind of makes me sick to my stomach yet I DVR it every week. First, I'm not the biggest fan of Diddy. I don't have any real hatred for him. I just feel like he's put up on this pedestal. Yeah, he's really successful for exploiting facilitating the talent of others -- but, correct me if I'm wrong here: he's not God!

Second, last night's episode (where his mother and children's mother decided which team were better slaves assistants during the challenge) just made me wonder if there's an inverse relationship between wealth and humility. Is it necessary to be arrogant or rude because you make lots of money... or you're somehow connected to someone who makes lots of money?

Third, the assistants are so subservient and so ecstatic to be put through ridiculous things. I'm not naive. I'm sure that Diddy and many other successful people need assistants, but I'm also certain that there's a line between assisting and doing something simple you could easily do for yourself or doing something incredibly ridiculous to abuse your celebrity and/or assistants.

But, hey, it's not my dream to work for him and I'm glad so. I've been fortunate enough to not have any difficult bosses. And I'm not saying I won't. I just hope they won't have the attitude that they're God's gift to humanity -- or God Himself.

Later

1 comment:

shaun. said...

i agree 100% with this.