8.09.2008

My First Agency Tour

So, I worked at the Detroit Free Press last summer. My former boss there made a career switch sometime after my apprenticeship was over, from journalism to copywriting.

I was excited to learn this because I was sorta making the same switch from wanting to write for a magazine to wanting to be an art director. We talked via email this summer and she invited me to her new job at Wunderman for a tour.

The tour was great. The interior of the agency was really nice. I've seen the funky designs of agencies online, but it was cool to see it in person. We went to the art department. She showed me some things she'd worked on, talked about the transition and the differences, and introduced me to a couple art directors she works with. I got to take a look at some comps and learn more about the process of creating an ad.

I was hoping to meet someone in HR, but apparently, the guy had been difficult to get ahold of during the summer and a while before I came for the tour, he left for a job in Chicago. But, I left a couple resumes with my former boss. Maybe when I start applying for internships, she can put in a good word there for me. :)

Later
-TJ

No comments: